Wednesday, July 25, 2007

July 18-24: I'll eat my words now...






Tuesday, July 17 - Tuesday July 24
Last week I said:

... getting him to sleep is now straightforward and dare I say it... easy?

Remember those words? HAH! I should have known better. I'd like to retract them. Liam had a rough week. He sleeps through the night on occasion now. As of today, short naps are back on the agenda, but I would no longer use the word easy. Today we had a 12 minute nap. Does that even count?

Friday night was tough; he was up at least 4 times, and I had to be at school at 8am on Saturday. Luckily, Lester took over at some dark and early morning hour.

He's also back on the Binkie. Our Nanny Krysti, gave it to him one day, and now he likes it when he falls asleep. I don't think it will be long-lived though because it's too much work to be very rewarding.

Back to our Nanny, she brings her 9-month-old Carter with her. Until now, the two played side-by-side. But now that they are more comfortable with each other, the two have been interacting a little. Liam reaches out for Carter, which looks a little like a swat at a nearby fly. And Carter 'pets' Liam on the head like he's a kitty.

Last week, Liam started making the broken car noise... neh--uh--neh--uh--neh--uh. I think it most resembles a car with a worn-out battery trying to start, unsuccessfully. This noise can go on for hours, and I think it means 'I'm bored'. Doesn't matter what toy or person he has in front of him... neh--uh--neh--uh--neh--uh. Sometimes there's a hint of pending tears, or laughter. Then, without warning, he's quiet again. That's who he is this week, I guess.

I think Liam is a Baby scientist. He loves to study things -- anything, really-- and he can look at it for a very long time. His reaction to seeing something new (or something he thinks is new) is a happy giggle with a smile, and then a long stare. When interrupted, he gives the same expression Lester uses, as if to say, right, where was I?

We have a new CD of kid songs, like the Hokie-Pokie. Liam likes to dance and he's actually starting to recognize the songs. Apparently Liam will have a lot to learn, as we are discovering many of the songs have American and British versions.

For example, I sing "Ten bears in the bed and the little one said,

Roll over, I'm crowded,

So they all rolled over and one fell out..."


But when Lester sings it, it goes something like this:

"Ten in a bed and the little one said,

Roll over, roll over,

And they all rolled over and one fell out...

Bumped his head,

And gave a shout, Please remember, To tie a knot in my pyjamas,

Single beds are only made for one, two, three, four, five, six in the bed and the little one said..."


Liam now grabs for things he wants to hold. It's really cute. Last night in the bath, he grabbed the washcloth I was using to sqeeze water onto his head. He just wanted to hold it. I guess it's only logical that he now can do things deliberately; he is almost 5 months old after all!

Liam is 20 weeks old and weighs 16.5 pounds.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007