Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Mommy's Super-Secret Name

We were at Red Robin last night. My darling little child figured out my real name, and casually dropped it into conversation. He wanted to sit in the highchair, like his friend Suri, who was with us. Normally, he sits in the booster chair.

mommy: if Liam wants to sit in the highchair, he has to stay still.
liam: ok mommy.

mommy: no moving between the booster and the high chair. pick one, stay there. ok?
liam: ok lisa.


mommy: lisa: did you just call me lisa?
liam: yeah, lisa.

lisa: **nothing, totally speechless**
liam: **super huge grin.**

So I thought it would pass. We get home and he tells daddy about his discovery of mommy's code name.

daddy: what's mommy's name?
liam: um, lisa
daddy: what's daddy's name?
liam: daddy

This morning, he have me a kiss and a hug. Then he repeated "bye-bye ee-ssa" over and over.

My reaction? First, it sounds strange for him to use my super-secret name. Though I suppose it's normal.

Second, he says my name in such a cute way. He can't even say the 'L' in his own name, so calls himself Me-am (me +Liam). Without the 'L' sound, Lisa sounds like ee-ssa. I suppose he might combine Mommy + Lisa and call me Misa.

To use one of Liam's favorite expressions, "No! No! Nuh-uh. Not allowed."

One other item of interest; Red Robin has a life-sized bird mascot who walks around and greets the children on Tuesday nights. Me-am was petrified of the bird. I thought for sure we'd hear about the scary bird, like the scary bunny, for days, if not weeks. So I guess the upside to him figuring out my name is that he has entirely forgotten all about the scary bird.