Tuesday, January 20, 2009

New President and Conversation

Today is Inauguration Day, so we now have a new President. The first President Liam will know is President Obama. I remember learning about President Reagan in first grade. On Inauguration Day, we went to church and prayed for him to lead the country well. We did not know about what was going on in the world. Years later, I learned what happened on Inauguration Day 1981, when hostages were released. Perhaps my fondness of Reagan comes from my early understanding of the President's leadership; knowledge that the country's leader sets things right. I hope Liam learns this about our new President when he goes to school. Today we started; Liam and I practiced saying President Obama. Pededomama.

On a much lighter subject, Liam and I have had a few conversations. These are the first, where we talk about one topic for a few minutes, all on one topic. The first was about a butterfly at the museum. We were in the butterfly room at the Pacific Science Center when a butterfly grazed Liam's cheek. Not wanting him to be startled, I told him the butterfly kissed his cheek. He was unconvinced.

Later that night, as Liam was going to sleep, he said out of the blue, "Mama, butterfly." He pointed to his cheek and said kiss. I confirmed what he said and asked if it was nice. He agreed that it was nice. Then he thought for a minute. "Nice butterfly kiss. Scary." I asked if he was scared of the butterfly and he agreed. I could tell he was thinking about the conflict between liking the butterfly landing on him, and yet being startled by it coming at him so suddenly.

All those months I wondered about his thoughts. What's this little guy thinking about? Now I know.

The same night, just before bed, Liam was so excited, staring out the front bedroom window. I went over and asked him what was out there. We looked at the dark playground, swings blowing in the wind a little.

"Cows."

"You see cows?" I asked him. "Where?"

"Swings."

"You see cows on the swings?

"Yep."

I asked, not sure why, "What are the cows doing?"

"Eating."

So we have invisible cows on the swings, eating.

It gets better. He now has to check on the cows frequently.

Yesterday I asked if the cows were still on the swings. "NO mama, no cows."

"The cows are gone?" I asked.

"Cows sleeping."