Monday, August 6, 2007

Week of 7/31-8/6: Liam's 5 months old!

Tuesday, July 31st to Tuesday August 6th


On August 1 Liam was 5 months old! In usual fashion, we remembered only after he fell asleep, so we sang to him the next day. I reveled in the idea that he's almost half a year old. He's also back to being a fully breastfed baby. The rice cereal made his tummy upset, so we've decided to wait until he's at least six months old. The doc is trying to convince me that he has acid reflux and perhaps needs medication. The way I see it, he ate the rice cereal and didn't feel well. Now that he's not eating cereal, he's back to normal... It doesn't take a Baby Einstein to figure out the problem here. So we are holding off until he's a little older.


We went swimming again this week. Liam loves the water. Next week we can register for swimming lessons which will start in early September. I know it sounds early, but my view is that it's never too early to learn how to be safe around water.


Speaking of water, Lester wanted to take some water photos for his photo club assignment. Keep in mind that it was Lester's idea to pour water on Liam's head. I am normally gentle, trying to get most of it down the back of his head. In fact, I even have a little visor, for days when he's not so pleased to start with. Contrast this with Lester's view. He thinks Liam should be able to handle water in his face without a bother, so he dumps the water right on his head. On this day, it made for a good picture, but I think tomorrow I'll go back to the old way.




On Thursday evening, with some effort, Liam rolled from his back to his front. By Friday morning he could flip around like he's been doing it his whole life. Now he's a pancake... that is he only flips one way... to his tummy. He hasn't figured out how to do it in reverse. So every morning, I go into his room, and he's frantically trying to get to his back. Sometimes it seems like an endless battle: roll, whine, flip, roll, whimper, flip.


Also this week, Liam met Nina Simone, who is the adorable little girl you might remember from the baby shower. We work with her parents (well actually her Daddy was my student when she was born; now he works at Weyerhaeuser, and her Mommy works at DeVry.) The two babies are so cute together - especially when they hold hands. She's almost one year old, so she's a little more gentle than the nanny's son, Carter.



It amazes me how at this age, even a few months difference in age is so profound, yet they could all be in the same Kindergarten class five years from now. I can hardly think about Liam eating with a fork or tying his shoes. This week I'm just so happy to see him roll to his front, and I'll be ever so pleased when he can roll back... on his own.




More pictures:

Rolling Over


Liam is now 5 months old; he weighs more than a gallon of milk and less than Zoe.

No comments: